Meniscus Tear

Moderator: Moderators

Meniscus Tear

Postby arizonamom2boys » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:42 pm

I have a complex mendial meniscus tear both radial and peripheral. Will the ultrasound treatments and a brace help me avoid surgery. I am also considering other treatments such as accupuncture and prolotherapy. I just am not sure where I should spend the money before to avoid surgery.

Thank you.
arizonamom2boys

Re: Meniscus Tear

Postby Allison » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:31 am

Hello Arizona,

I am going to provide a brief explanation about your meniscus injury in order for you to better understand your condition - then I will expand upon some treatment options that are available to you.

A complex medial meniscus tear includes more than one pattern of tear. There are many terms referring to the different patterns of meniscus tears, but some common tears include:
- longitudinal tear
- bucket-handle tear
- horizontal tear
- horizontal flap tear
- radial tear
- parrot’s beak tear
- horizontal tear.
Follow the link I’ve pasted here for a visual representation of the meniscus tears that I have mentioned (http://www.mendmeshop.com/meniscus/diagnosing.php).

You have mentioned that you have a radial meniscus tear – you will be happy to know that radial meniscus tears are typically a small split on the inner edge of the meniscus. These tears are much smaller than other patterns, so with proper treatment you can ensure that this tear does not run further through your meniscus causing a much more serious injury.

You should also be aware that there are two “zones” of the meniscus: the “red zone” and the “white zone”. A peripheral tear denotes that your tear is located in the “red zone” of the meniscus. This “red zone” is the outermost region of the meniscus and receives the most blood supply. Most meniscus injuries can be difficult to heal because they do not receive proper blood flow to heal the injury. This however is not the case for you; because you have radial medial meniscus tear that is located peripherally you have a much better chance of healing this injury without having to seek a surgical solution.

Treatment Options
It is important that you receive adequate treatment for your meniscus injury because once your meniscus is torn you have an increased risk in developing arthritis in your knee. I strongly feel that you should consult your physician before starting any course of treatment for your meniscus injury. Your physician is the only person who is aware of how serious your injury is. Consider discussing the treatment options I explain below with your physician to see what s/he thinks would be the best method for you.

Using a brace to restrict movement of your knee will work wonders if you also gradually integrate some alternative treatment methods and physical therapy (or exercises) to heal and strengthen your joint. If you experience any swelling in your knee you should explore use of the R.I.C.E. method (rest, ice, compression and elevation). Ice and compress your injury 2 to 4 times a day for 15 to 20 minutes to reduce pain and swelling. If your injury is no longer swollen, but you are still experiencing pain and inflammation you can begin to heal the meniscus in your knee by increasing blood flow to the site of your injury. Blood is the transport mechanism for oxygen, nutrients and antibodies – which are important when treating any soft tissue injury. Therapeutic ultrasound treatments will increase blood flow to your injury and stimulate your injured tissue on a cellular level. This stimulation will heal your damaged tissue and soften any scar tissue that you may have. With a portable ultrasound unit you should treat your injury 3 times a day for 10 minutes. You can also increase the stimulation of blood flow to your injury with the Inferno Wrap.

Acupuncture treatments will most likely require 3 to 6 visits (or perhaps more) to completely reduce pain in your knee. Similarly, prolotherapy (a method of injection treatment) will probably require 4 to 6 visits to completely heal your meniscal injury. There are also many contraindications that you should be aware of if you wish to seek prolotherapy. Individuals should not consider prolotherapy if they have infections, known allergies to any prolotherapy ingredients, any underlying illness that would interfere with prolotherapy, acute gout or rheumatoid arthritis in the knee, long term use of medications that lower immune response, and current use of systemic corticosteroids or NSAIDS.

I can understand your hesitancy when selecting a course of treatment, as some treatment plans can get expensive (especially with multiple visits to an alternative health care practitioner). Even then you may feel that the results you experience may not reflect the amount of monetary and time investment you have put into your treatment. I think you should consider sifting through some of the posts on this forum for your own peace of mind. See how other individuals have treated their meniscus injuries and how they feel about our products.

Determine which course of treatment will work best for you with guidance from your physician. When you do select a treatment plan make sure you are prepared to remain diligent and patient with your care.

I hope I have adequately answered your questions. If you require any further information about MendMeShop products please feel free to either reply to this post, or phone one of our knowledgeable customer service representatives by phoning us toll-free within North America at 1-866-237-9608 or phone us directly at 1-705-445-3505.

Best of luck to you, I sincerely hope you are able to treat your meniscal injury in a way that will completely relieve you pain AND heal your injury.

http://www.aidmymeniscus.com

Allison
MendMeShop
Please keep your doctor and/or therapist informed of all treatments you plan to utilize. This information should not be used in place of a visit, call, or consultation with or the advice of your physician or other qualified medical professional.
Allison

Return to Other Ailments