Healing of scar tissue

Moderator: Moderators

Healing of scar tissue

Postby oseng » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:33 pm

My husband had surgery to repair a ruptured achilles tendon 3 months ago. Thick, hard, scar tissue has built up around the incision area. When the surgeon saw this, he prescribed ultrasound treatment at a physical therapist's. I purchased a portable ultrasound unit so my husband can treat the scar tissue every day, rather than only twice a week at the therapist's. Will the ultrasound unit help in this case? What is the suggested treatment protocal? Thanks for your help.
oseng

Postby Anneadam » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Hello Oseng,

Therapeutic ultrasound can soften scar tissue when treated over a long period. Keep in mind that scar tissue will take time to break down, but ultrasound can soften it which allows the body to reabsorb the scar tissue faster. Deep tissue massage can also be very helpful in breaking up scar tissue - and just as you can imagine, this can be a painful experience.

It's always a good idea to consult your doctor before starting any treatment program. Since your husband's doctor has already been prescribed ultrasound treatments he may have suggestions about treatment of your husband's particular condition.

Call us directly toll free 1-866-237-9608 for more information or visit:

http://www.aidyourtendon.com
Anneadam

Return to Other Ailments